Shades of Beauty: Your True Colors
As the seasons change the challenge is real when trying to match foundation color to your fading tan. The easy solution is to keep two foundation colors on hand. Match one to your darkest color in the summer, and the other to your lightest color in the winter. Then gradually mix your summer & winter shades in the spring & fall to match your current color.
- Example of transitioning foundation color in the spring:
- Summer/Winter shades (100 s) -> (75/25 s/w) -> (50/50 s/w) -> (25/75 s/w) -> (100 w)
- Simply do the reverse to transition colors in the fall.
Many of you know that my favorite foundation is Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation. When layered over a pearl size of silicone-based primer, it creates an airbrush flawless finish. Wanting to try Luminous Silk Foundation? Sephora makes it easy with their Foundation Shade Finder tool. For personalized makeup tips book a Makeup Lesson with me at my private studio. Bring your current makeup bag and we’ll go through it together to freshen up your beauty routine.
Best of Kansas City for Eyebrows: Thank you, 435 Magazine!
For more info or to Book your Consultation appointment click here.
Microblading: 5 Tips for The Best Hairstroke Eyebrows
- Microblading is an art form: Choose your artist wisely. Look at their portfolio and see their “healed” photos.
- Be realistic about your expectations: Pigment under the skin will always look more muted and natural than traditional cosmetics sitting on top of your skin. You may still wear brow makeup at times for a bolder look.
- Brows are sisters not twins: We just don’t want them to be cousins.
- Don’t be impulsive: Microblading is a process not to be rushed. The Saturation Visit is focusing on shape and color. The Refinement Visit 6-8 weeks later will focus on fine-tuning the details.
- Follow the aftercare rules: You will have a few days of the pigment sloughing off. Just deal with it. It will pay off in the long term. Don’t get them wet & NO heavy sweating. The salt in your sweat will pull out the pigment.
PhiBrows: Certified Microblading Artist
Microblading is a type of permanent makeup that uses a manual method to draw thinner hairs. It requires a separate and completely different skill from classic permanent makeup which is done using a machine. Kristine Kay is PhiBrows certified and trained with European Master Branko Babic. PhiBrows is the most prestigious microblading certification in the world. There are only a handful of certified experts in the US.
Brows on Point: Microblading Hairstroke Eyebrows
Permanent makeup is used to create or enhance eyebrows, particularly in people who have lost them as a result of aging, over-tweezing, over-waxing, scars, alopecia, chemotherapy and trichotillomania. Eyebrows that are sparse or lack symmetry and definition can be beautifully enhanced and improved. The procedure for eyebrows know as: microblading, feathering, 3D hairstroke and brow embroidery uses a technique which simulates individual hairs within the brows.
Eyebrows frame your face and enhance the expression on your face. This procedure leaves you with an instant face lift and more youthful look.
DIY Beauty: Brown Sugar Lip Scrub
Exfoliate your dry lips with a brown sugar lip scrub made with items in your pantry.
Apply scrub to your lips and massage it for 20 seconds. Wipe off for instantly smoother lips!
Va-Va-Va Volume Lash Extensions
After several years as a lash artist, I finally found something to be excited about… Russian Volume Lashes!!! As the rest of the world created volume through a larger diameter of eyelash extension (ee) applying it 1:1 to the natural lash (nl), the Russians have perfected a softer, fluffier look. By applying several thin, fine ee’s to one nl, they are able to create not only length, but true volume as well.
Three years ago I was certified and trained by expert volume lash artist Irina Levchuk. She is a world renowned competition judge and trainer from the Lash & Brow Design Academy in Moscow, Russia. Once you try the Volume Lashes you will never go back to the Classic Lash Extensions.
Cosmetics: Shelf Life
Makeover Your Makeup Bag: What to Keep Vs. Toss. Makeup doesn’t last forever.
It can spoil, discolor, and lose it’s effectiveness. Know when to throw:
- mascara: 3-6 months (never share with others)
- moisturizer: 3-12 months (never dip fingers into jars)
- foundation: 6-12 months (change with seasons)
- powder: 2 years (clean sponges and brushes often)
- concealer: 6-8 months (don’t touch breakouts directly)
- lipstick: 2 years (dip in alcohol to clean)
- eye/lip pencil: 2 years (sharpen between use)
- fragrance: 18 months – 3 years (keep out of sunlight)
Get Glam: Curl Up & Dye
I want to let you ladies in on a little secret! You CAN have long beautiful lashes, without extensions and Latisse. It’s called a Lash Lift (lash perm)! It is a 30 minute service that lifts your natural lashes from the base of the lid up and out and leaves it that way for 5 weeks. I kid you not! My eyebrow/make-up clients absolutely LOVE this service. We do it here at The Skin Spa in Kansas City. The lash lift alone is $80 and you can add lash tint for an extra $20 to make those eyes POP! just keeping you informed on what’s HOT for Spring!
LASH LIFTING Benefits
Short lashes appear longer
Drooping eyes appear lifted
No more pinching of lash curl device
Ideal for swimmers
Great for women on the go
Perfect for vacations and holidays
Compliments bridal makeup
The Lash Lift & Lash Tint is available at Kristine Kay Skin Spa. It is a 30 minute service that lasts 5 weeks for $80 (lash lift) or $100 (lash lift & lash tint).
As we transition from Winter to Spring, I thought I would share some products that I favored this month!
1. Urban Decay: Naked Basics Palette – A wonderful neutral palette of six “matte” shades. ($29 at sephora.com)
2. Fresh: Sugar Lip Treatment in Petal – This “Petal” tinted lip balm looks good, feels good and tastes good. ($24 at sephora.com)
3. Stash: Vanilla Chai Decaf Tea – This tea is a great way to start my day while there is still a chill in the air. ($3 at your local grocery store)
4. Agloves: Polar Sport – Gloves to keep your hands warm while texting. Silver threads allow contact with the screen and small gripping dots on the palms so your iPhone won’t slip and fall. ($30 at agloves.com)
5. Dermalogica: SkinPerfect Primer – Lightly tinted to even out skin tone and silicone to create the perfect base for foundation. Your makeup with look airbrushed. ($50 at dermalogica.com)